Saturday, December 13, 2014

Inspirational Challenge

Small Acts, Big Differences

            “But, Lord, I will freeze while walking to my apartment.” “But, Lord, I don’t have easy access to my wallet.  Won’t they steal from me if I take it out?” “But, Lord I don’t even have that denomination of cash in my wallet.” 
            In my life I often come up with excuses as to why I don’t want to do what the gently nudge is asking me to do.  However, I have found that I am the one missing out when I don’t obey.  I don’t know how many times I have I have chosen to walk away instead of blessing someone but it seems like more often than I choose the right way.  I tell myself I will do better next time but then the opportunity arises and I still fail. 
            One encouraging example of what walking in obedience can do happened when my mentor listened to the call to support me financially in a venture she knew to be divine.  She anonymously deposited money in my bank account to buy tickets for a student trip to China.  Only later did I confirm that it was her. 
            That trip to China opened up many doors that otherwise would have


            “No way! Are you sure?  Can you please check again?  I have how much in my account?”  I asked the teller incredulously after a routine balance check.
            “It’s true.  The numbers are not lying.  That is your bank balance.  If you want I can put a hold on the funds while we check what is going on.”
            “Yes, please do.  I don’t want to be spending money that is not mine.  Thank you” I replied to the generous offer.
            “I will ask the teller who processed the transaction.  Just hold on a moment.”  With that she disappeared only to reappear a few moments later with the answer to my unusual inquiry. 
            “Yes.  The teller said that a woman stopped by earlier today and was talking about you going to China.”
            “So, that is what I am supposed to use this money for?  Thank you God for your provision.”
            Ten days later I was on my way to China for a student trip.  While there I fell in love with the culture, food, and people and felt my calling.  Returning home I tailored the rest of my university education to learn as much as I could about the fascinating country (including the language) and found a job teaching English right after graduation.  I spent more than five wonderful years there in two different cities and had many wonderful experiences.  I even met and married a Chinese doctor!  So, you can say that China is in my blood or at least it is literally in my children’s blood. 

            Too many times I find excuses for not following the gentle nudge asking me to bless someone and I am the one that misses out.  When I fail, I try to remind myself of my mentor and the small act of obedience she made that made a big difference in my life.  It changed my course! Why do I sometimes choose to walk away?  I can choose either way and the results are always better when I follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment