Saturday, August 2, 2014

Pen and Paper Challenge 'A Complement Lesson'

A Complement Lesson

“Hi Penny.  Do you want to hear my poem?” Pepe Pen asked as he sidled up to Penny Paper.    Not waiting for a response he launched into his latest creation.

“I’m a writer.
You’re a reader.
We belong together.

You like books.
I like songs.
In any type of weather.”

            “That’s great Pepe,” a dejected Penny responded without emotion.

            Not exactly what he was expecting, Penny’s reply produced a frown as Pepe contemplated his best friend’s somber mood.  This new attitude of hers just didn’t fit her sunny disposition!  “What’s wrong Penny?” he finally asked.

            Sighing deeply Penny said, “I wish I could write like you.  In fact I wish I was a pen in the hand of a skillful writer.  Then I could accomplish more in my life instead of waiting for someone to write their story on me. “ 

            “But what would happen to our friendship if we were both pens?” an incredulous Pepe asked.  “Where would that leave our readers? Please don’t be so hasty to wish upon yourself something that has no value.”

            “What do you mean?” a quizzical Penny challenged.

            “Haven’t you ever read what the apostle Paul wrote in I Corinthians 12:14? ‘For in fact the body is not one member but many.’ (NKJV)  Your value is in the fact that although we are different we work together equally as the body of Christ.  You should read the rest of the story.   It is talking about body parts but it should give you a clear picture of where we would be if we were all pens with no paper.”

            Her smile returning Penny said, “Thanks.  I will read that soon.”          

            “Now, what did you really think of my poem?” Pepe asked.

            “I like it.  I need you and you need me.  We complement each other because that is the way the Good Lord made us.”


            “Amen to that!  Now you are finally getting it."

1 comment:

  1. This challenge entry was #8 out of 20 in the beginner category. :)

    ReplyDelete