Thursday, May 23, 2013

Keoni's arrival

Hi all,
  I am finally getting around to updating my blog.  In this post I will give the details of my son's birth. 
   Keoni Luke Liang was born at Yale New Haven Hospital (YNHH) at 2:44 am on Saturday February 16, 2013.  He was 7 lbs. 5 oz and around 19 inches. 

     Three miracles surround his birth.  First, we had a snowstorm of gigantic proportions February 8 - 9.  We were in the area that was worst hit.  A town near us had 40 inches in 24 hours while we had 34.  We were actually in Hamden the night before the storm hit.  So, we were all a bit nervous when I was 38 weeks during a major blizzard.  It took the town of New Haven more than 3 business days to clear all the roads so that they were even passable with one lane.  The town was at a standstill from Friday afternoon through Wednesday morning.  We made it through that.  Thank God. 
      On that Friday night my sister and I (and my daughter) headed to Wal-Mart for some last minute supplies for arriving family from China.  While there I started feeling uncomfortable but didn't realize it was labor.  I even drove home and we finished cleaning up for the family.  They arrived at our home at around 10 pm and we all said hello and then good night.  I mentioned that I might be in labor but wasn't sure because they were at least 20 minutes apart.  Well, it didn't take long to make it to 10 minutes apart and then right on top of each other.  Eventually we woke everyone up (except my daughter) and finished packing for the hospital.  At 2 am we set out.  The contractions were very intense and close together.  There were also some messes that couldn't be stopped. The second miracle is that my Chinese mother-in-law and sister-in-law did arrive in time (although just barely).  My mother-in-law was able to stay with the sleeping toddler. 
       After arriving at the hospital maternity ward Keoni was born within 10 minutes before we even made it to the delivery room.  In fact, the doctor was not in the room (but came by a little later) so he was delivered by an intern.  My sister and sister-in-law were in the family waiting room.  My husband sent my sister a picture of him as a surprise when she expected to be in the room with us but he arrived too quickly.  We skyped with my parents soon after.  So, the third miracle was that his delivery was quick and complication free and totally natural.  The births of my daughter and my son could not have been so different.

            Well on to taking care of the two blessings - one who is 3 months and the other in the midst of potty-training.

                                Blessings,
                             Jennifer Liang 

No comments:

Post a Comment